Quote of the Week

"So many mothers say they want their daughters to be independent, but what they really hope is that they’ll find a well-compensated banker or lawyer and settle down between the ages of 25 and 28 in Greenwich, Darien, or That Town, USA, to raise babies, do the grocery shopping, and work out in relative comfort for the rest of their lives. I know this, because I employ their daughters. They raise us to think they want us to have careers, and they send us to college, but even they don’t really believe women can be autonomous."
— Kelly Cutrone 



Monday, August 9, 2010

Something old is new again

Today I was lucky enough to get a sneak peek inside The Patch Lounge in Coolangatta, which reopens its doors this Friday the 13th August. 

Back in the day The Patch was the go to place for live music acts from all over. This time around not only will we be able to hear the sweet sounds of live acts but also get up close and personal with other emerging artists and designers, making The Patch almost a launch pad for talent in those fields.

One such talent is Joy French; who will be showcasing some of her work this Friday. I caught up with Joy to find out a little more about her work and inspirations behind it. 

Hi Joy, how long have you been designing and creating your art?

I have been designing and creating ever since I was a little girl growing up in the country with a very wide and wild imagination... but I did not start putting this into professional practice until my late teens, early 20s as a scupltureer in an art foundry then later years in 2006-07 art and fashion

What are your inspirations behind both your clothing and paintings? 

It was time for me to stretch myself creatively into other directions …people loved my art, and that evolved into an idea, that people could wear my work. I liked the idea of a living canvas, hence JOYFRENCH Collections.


Nature, music, colour, sculpture, art, culture, the history of multi faceted masks of humanity and non-multi faceted masks of humanity.  I have drawn my inspiration from combined luxurious natural fabrics with subtle advanced fabrics; again a lot of inspiration comes from people and humanity observing how we all choose to live....

Do you feel the pressure to follow trends?

Yes and No. Follow, No, observe, yes. I like to keep an eye on whats going on then work with what I am creating to make sure its unique simple and wearable, that isn’t going to be like other labels out there. The minimalist design aesthetic of sculpture.

For emerging Artists/Designers out there, how did you go about getting your name out there to the public, finding stockists for your label etc?

It all kind of just happened, I just kept putting it out there. People asked what I did, I told them, and they had a look and they liked it, as much to my amazement as anyone. People really are responsive, and the public really are open to new things. Its just having the guts to put yourself out there, but a lot of it comes back to having really great friends and family to support me, very, very lucky and blessed in that way. 






Are you an emerging artist, designer, musician, multi media sensation looking for a way to showcase your talents? Let me know because The Patch could be your opportunity to get the exposure you need early on in your career.

For more on Joy French go to,
http://www.joyfrenchgallery.com





1 comment:

  1. Thanks for a great article. The Joy French Collection is divine!

    ReplyDelete