Quote of the Week

"So many mothers say they want their daughters to be independent, but what they really hope is that they’ll find a well-compensated banker or lawyer and settle down between the ages of 25 and 28 in Greenwich, Darien, or That Town, USA, to raise babies, do the grocery shopping, and work out in relative comfort for the rest of their lives. I know this, because I employ their daughters. They raise us to think they want us to have careers, and they send us to college, but even they don’t really believe women can be autonomous."
— Kelly Cutrone 



Monday, June 7, 2010

One for the chocolate lovers!

I try not to make a habit of eating dessert, (excluding tonight, my mum has whipped up her famous apple and passionfruit dish for a family dinner) simply because I'm a lover of everything appley, chocolaty, puddingish...you get the idea, too much dessert = you know!

However...

I cannot resist this warm chocolaty treat. It is perfect for winter with a dollop of classic vanilla ice cream or a splash of double cream (I like ice cream as it melts over the top mmm). Now I admit that I have personally never made this myself but I have peered over Tim's shoulder eagerly awaiting to get my hands on it, and (no offence to Tim) it is bloody simple!

Chocolate Risotto 



What you'll need:

2 1/4 cups skim milk (cos we're watching our waistlines of course)
1 vanilla bean split (you can just add a splash of vanilla essence if you can't be bothered spending $10 on a vanilla bean)
1 tbsp cocoa
1/4 caster sugar
20g butter
2/3 cup arborio rice
60g dark/milk or white chocolate grated (the choice is yours) and you can use more or less
I C E - C R E A M

What to do:

~Heat your oven to 180 degrees Celsius (160 fan)
~Put milk, vanilla, cocoa and sugar in a saucepan and heat until just below boiling point, stir until sugar dissolves
~Meanwhile, melt your butter in an ovenproof saucepan (med-high heat). Add the rice and cook for 2 minutes stir it a few times.
~Stir the milk mixture into the rice, cover with a lid or some foil and cook in the over for 25-30 minutes or until it resembles a classic risotto
~Remove from the oven, divide into bowls and sprinkle with as much or as little chocolate as you wish topped with a scoop of ice-cream

This recipe is for 2 people but they are huge serves and it is filling so you could easily serve this up to four people or just double it to cook for a group.

Now I have to add that you should be super careful with the saucepan when you remove it from the oven as Tim has burnt his hand on 3 occasions (in the same night)

I really hope you give this one a try, it looks impressive and most people haven't had this before and it really is that simple...Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment